Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Wedding Card book

This is my latest and greatest book. I saw the coolest idea on a blog a while back (this isn't the one, but I couldn't find it again, and you get the idea), and I'm just now putting it to use. See, I've had these wonderful wedding cards sitting in a bag (in a box) in the storage room for a while, and I was looking through them thinking, "gee, it sure is hard to throw something like this away! It's a wedding memento! I'll only have wedding cards once in my life!" and some of these cards are lovely. So that made me think of something we'd talked about in my Business for the Professional Artist class. The idea is, when you send out a promotional piece, make it really special. Make it so groovy that people will have a hard time throwing it away. So, I took my already awesome wedding cards and I made them doubly awesome by binding them into a book! Tada!

I know, I'm awesome. Keep in mind though, this wasn't originally my idea, I just expounded on it (is that even the right word?). I started off by separating my cards into stacks of similar sizes. There are ginormous ones, medium size ones, and eetsy beetsy ones. I started with the medium sized ones. I decided to bind them in a case bound form. 

It was more difficult to bind cards than I had anticipated. first off, each card was it's own  signature, so for this book I think I have like 15 or 18 signatures, which takes a lot of thread and a long time to sew. It's not difficult, per say, except for the fact that when the factory (or whoever makes and folds all these cards) folds the cards, some of them are sliced or scored so they will bend easier. It's nice, they stay shut, which is the purpose, but it is therefore  very easy to pull the thread too hard and rip right through the spine of the card. Grrr! I must have done that like twenty times! Other than that, it was fine.

For the cover (I think this was a jolt of brilliant inspiration) I made my own paper by gluing bits and pieces of the envelopes that the cards came in to a piece of tissue paper, and then gluing it down to my book board. I used tissue paper 1. Because it was what I had at the moment, 2. Because the envelopes were thick enough as it was, I didn't need them layered on top of some thick paper, and 3. Because I could rearrange and then trim the paper before I glued it down. Some of the pieces of the envelopes that I used were stamps, the post office stamps (like the ones that say, Spokane, WA) because I thought it was cool all the places we got letters from, and some of the pieces that said our names on them. Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman, Laurel Hoffman, etc.

The color book cloth I used was not one of my wedding colors, which would have been cool, I just thought it went really well with the envelopes and stamps. On the spine I carved a heart in the book board and then pressed it down in with my bone folder. It was my first try at doing that sort of thing, and I think it went well.

So, I think I've talked enough. Here are some pics of the book, and if anyone wants me to do this for them, let me know, we'll work something out (monetary compensation, cheesecake for a couple of weeks, something along those lines :) ).

22 comments:

  1. Could I pay you, to do this for me? I am not crafty at all. I am wanting to do something like this for my wedding cards. If yes, email me at asallee13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious if you could do this for me. Please send me an email with pricing info to: mightee_nano@hotmail.com. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome! This makes me wish j was this crafty! I would be super interested in having you do this for me. Please contact me via email iceangle_470@hotmail.com. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this a great idea and for me that I'm not crafty I would like to get this done for my bridal shower and wedding cards to be put in keepsake. If you can let me know if you can do this for me and with pricing please contact me at chiquy1178@hotmail.com. thank you Esmeralda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! This is such a lovely idea! Is your offer still valid? Could you send me an email (savvypenguino@gmail.com) with pricing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you also contact me with info and pricing if you can please. morgan_tokarz@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please contact me with info and pricing also. Thanks!
    Joliegratz @gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please contact me with info and pricing as well. Thanks!
    jwangerz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please contact me with pricing and info ! kendrahornick@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am interested in pricing and info as well :) Love the idea and look of this, I get married in October and it would be an awesome way to keep the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!!! THIS IS SOO CUTE!!! I AM INTERESTED IN IT. ARE YOU STILL DOING THIS? IF SO EMAIL ME INFO AND PRICINGS!
    december_baby316@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am definitely interested in this if it is something you're still doing! Please email me your pricing and info as well if you are. Thanks!
    lauramlombardi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Just came across this on pinterest, are you still doing this? I know this is an old post, but if you are I would be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this!! I would like to have this done if you are still doing it. Please contact me with the info. turtel13@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not sure if this is something you still are willing to do for people... it looks like you had a LOT of people interested in your work! If it is though... please email me at lordr14@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, same as the posts above...I'm not sure if you're still willing to do this, but i'd be interested in paying you to have a book made. Please email me at smith.nicole23@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I would love to touch base if this is something you are still doing for a binding of all my grandparents anniversary cards. Please email lsparker19@gmail.com. THank you! Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can you please email me if you are doing this still. megandee12@yahoo.com I would love to do this for my wedding cards

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, not sure if you’re still doing this but if you could email some details at mgspiker@comcast.net that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! Are you still doing this?! It is such an amazing idea and turned out so beautiful!!! Email me at forankaty@gmail.com if so :) I would love this keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi are you still doing it? I would like to see more pictures and do it in my cards. Please email me and let me know. Thank you very much!
    denisefaccioli@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! Yes are you still doing this? I would love to have my wedding cards in a book like this.

    ReplyDelete