Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Literary Masterpieces

Here are a couple of "vases" I made for my independent project for my sculpture class. While they may look like vases at the moment, they certainly are not made to hold water.

The first vase you see was made out of an old magazine. It wasn't hard to make, but it did take a little bit of my time. If you want to know how to make one, try this link.


This next one was made from books I purchased at Deseret Industries, a thrift store here in town. Now normally I would feel really bad destroying perfectly good books, but I felt a little better after I read a couple of articles about how it's hard to recycle books because of the glue in the spine, so any books that aren't bought at thrift stores are just thrown away. So really, I'm making something fun and decorative out of what would just end up being trash. And they were reader's digest condensed books.

This project took a lot more time and muscle than the last one. I cut two readers digest condensed books by hand with a scalpel. My shoulders hurt for a while, and I started to wonder if a band saw might work better. I'm still not sure if it would work or if it would just rip the book to shreds, but it might be good to know for future reference.

This can be done using only one book, but I used two so it would be fuller, and so I could put a test tube in the center for water holding purposes. I have yet to obtain a test tube. Here is a tutorial I used for my guide. Don't be fooled though, I did not find this project to be quick or easy like it said.

No comments:

Post a Comment