Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Etsy Baby!

So, I finally started an Etsy. If you don't know what Etsy is, you are missing out, my friend. It is the coolest place to go and buy and sell things that are handmade and vintage (or supplies). Don't just try to imagine it though -- go and see for yourself. Here.

That said, I've been wanting to get one up since January-ish. My dilemma has been choosing a user name.
 "Really Laurel? Really?" You say, "It's just a user name, it's not that important."
 "But it is!" I protest vehemently. I didn't want something boring like 'laurelhoffman' or 'lhoffman' etc., but I couldn't come up with anything truly memorable. Really, I have a page in my sketch book full of crossed out etsy user names. The thing is, if it was just my user name, I'd be fine with lhoffman or whatever, but I wanted to sell on etsy, and when you sell, your user name becomes your shop name. So lhoffman wasn't cutting it. So I deliberated, and asked my husband (who didn't really care too deeply about the subject), paced the floor, and nothing came.

Finally the semester ended, and I knew I had to come up with a name, because I had decided I was going to get my shop running this summer. A week later, nothing (isn't this story great? If you've made it this far you need to find a hobby, you are way to easily entertained). Then, TADA! As I was posting pics of my books and such on this blog, the idea hit me! Why don't I just name it after my blog?! Admittedly, the blog name was rather random, but I haven't regretted it yet, so it seemed like a good idea. So my Etsy user name is badplatypus. Oh yeah. I figured, it's a bit strange, and has no real correlation to what I would be selling, but I feel like it isn't something like 'lhoffman' that you'll forget it two seconds.

And that, my child, is the tale of Laurel's long and tedious quest to find a stellar Etsy username. Unfortunately, it isn't over. I would have items posted on my page if it weren't for the fact that the bank canceled our debit card while they were sending me a new one. Grr, that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment