Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

More Cords



I made another cord bound book. This one went a lot better, I think. Firstly, I didn't trim the leather too short, which made it look more finished. I may need to look into paring down the thickness of the leather in the places I'll be folding it underneath itself. Maybe so it won't look so bulky. The first point also plays into my second. Because I didn't trim the leather too short, I was able to make the endpapers the right size and not have to fudge and cut things like I did on the last one. I guess I'm glad I made the mistake in the first place so I could learn from it.

The cover paper I used for this book was some flocked damask paper in a dark rosy magenta color. It's really pretty paper, I've just been looking for a good opportunity to use it. Ever since I bought the black leather coat I've know this would look good.

I used red and black endbands on this. I would like to learn how to make my own endbands so I could match colors and whatnot. It's kind of annoying to me that the only endbands I have access to have really ugly color combos, or the colors themselves are ones that are really hard to match to other materials. Yellow and black? Really? Gold and red? When am I going to use that? Anyways...


Inside the book I used white lokta paper. I left the raw edge on the endpapers because I thought it would go nicely with the torn edges of the text block. I actually tore the end of the endpaper on the back cover. It was fun, because all those beautiful fibers stuck out. It reminded me of my mom's old mulberry paper that she would use for scrapbooking. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment